Zenly is a map that lets you know what your friends and family are up to. It’s a map based on your people, there to help you move a little closer to them.
We’re a small team of 50 passionate people determined to offer an alternative to products that were meant to connect us but only alienated us. An alternative that represents a true reflection of your world and those you care most about.
How we work
As an Android Engineer you will work in a long-lived dedicated team/squad alongside contributors of all disciplines (Backend, Design, iOS, Product, Scientists, QA). You and your team will be responsible for an overall company goal and will work together at defining the roadmap that will lead to the most impact.
Currently, Android Engineers are working in teams like Conversation, Growth, App Platform and Maps to quote only non-internal team names 🙂
Zenly is written mainly in Kotlin with remains of Java but also quite uniquely in Go (we embed a shared library written in Go that deals with stuff like data synchronization, Network transport and cross-os app feature backends like the Chat or the Location pipeline). Our min SDK is 21 😁
We make extensive usage of RxJava in structural parts of the app like (lifecycle bound tasks, scheduling, multi-threading, reactive UI model, automated tracing) and have a fair number of internal frameworks built on top of it.
Last but not least, we try to push Zenly to the edge of the devices capabilities and had much fun making non traditional heavy UI experiences and animations on Android, sometimes heavily tweaking or going beyond what the system normally provides.
What does an Android Engineer do at Zenly?
- Work as part of a long-lived team, together help define and reach objectives that have an impact on the trajectory of Zenly.
- Participate in the elaboration and delivery of your team’s roadmap.
- Work closely with our product and design peers to craft the best experience possible for the Android platform.
- Focus on Zenly UI/UX principles to build industry leading standards (smooth transitions, one-handed interactions)
- Deliver well-architected products with high bar for UX craft and engineering quality
- Focus on performance and optimization to ensure what we build works seamlessly on multiple Android devices and in low connectivity areas
What type of experience matters to us?
- Building Android apps in Kotlin/Java + std libs with strong knowledge of the Android SDK.
- Crafting elaborate UI interactions
- Solving UI performance issues
- Dealing with somewhat complex multithreading problems
- Digging in large code bases including Android AOSP and API design
- Extensible software design (plugins architecture, API design, DDD)
What do we offer in return?
- Competitive salary and RSUs plan;
- International phone allowance;
- Gym membership allowance;
- Meal allowance;
- Full health insurance for you, your partner, and your family;
- Additional retirement plan;
- Public transportation subscription reimbursement (100%);
- Handling of relocation/visa procedure.
Plus other perks like:
- Weekly yoga and meditation classes (in the office);
- Japanese, English and French classes (in the office);
- Trips abroad every year for the whole team (French Alps in 2019, Sicily in 2018, Majorca in 2017, Marrakech in 2016);
- Pet-friendly office;
- Free drinks and snacks of all kinds (homemade pastry, fruits, etc.) everyday :).
For pictures and details, visit our About page!
More about the job and Zenly